The story of BOOK-A-TALE
In January 2016, Agnes and Lida met in Athens.
Together they wanted to create children’s books and make them travel into the world. Building stories from scratch, exploring imagination and real life, finding and believing in the chemistry of creation.
Born in Hasselt, Belgium.
Her mother loved books and her older brothers and sister, being a big advantage, taught her how to read on an early age. When 5, she could read almost everything and reading never stopped in her life.
A master degree in Economics, combined with the love for books, was leading her to a career in publishing. More specific to children’s books publishing. This thanks to the joy she took in reading books to her own children. Children’s books became a passion.
This ultimate joy she wanted to share with as many children as possible. By writing stories herself, often inspired by her own children.
Born in Athens, Greece.
I grew up in my mother’s atelier. She was a painter. My dad a traveller. They both loved humour and books.
Art, humour and traveling was the essence of my life.
As an only child in a big city, my best friends were books and animals. Whom I loved to sketch.
The fact that I grew up in a flat, where Parthenon was visible from my terrace, got me in contact with the power of simplicity of the forms and the lines of the classic spirit.
I was very influenced by the magic of light.
Graduated from the Vakalo College of Art and Design in Athens as graphic designer, illustrator & photographer. Studies in classical music & melodrama. Studies in dance. Since 1993 I wrote more than 20 books and illustrated another 200 books. Then Painttellings came to life. A performance with narration, drawing, mimic, singing. A storytelling experience, a new language for everybody to understand. An interactive performance for all ages.
Within the framework of Painttellings, I am in collaboration with schools, kindergartens, libraries and foundations aiming to promote reading & art amongst youth in Greece and abroad. Cyprus, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, Holland, France, Russia.
- 2006 First International Illustration Prize from the South-East European Centre for Children’s Literature & Media for the book “A worm with wings”, Crazy Bites book series, Papadopoulos Publishers.
- 2006 Illustrated important Schoolbooks for the Greek language.
- 2009 Wrote and illustrated the book “Team with a heart” for the Representation of the European Commission in Greece. The book is related to the children of Europe.
- 2010 Created the mascot named « Elpida »(HOPE) decorated the Children’s’ Oncological Hospital « Elpida » of Marianna Vardinogianni.
- 2014 Illustrated the book “The Stars of Europe” for the Representation of the European Commission in Greece.
- 2016 Nominated from Greece (IBBY) for the ANDERSEN AWARD in illustration.